Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Harvest Time - Recipes

All the fall/harvest type foods available right now are putting me in a cooking mood. I have been trying to incorporate them into the meals that I make. As I mentioned in a post last month, I learned how to can apple pie filling, which I repeated over the weekend at my mom's house. Apples are a great fall food, and so versatile. On Monday for dinner, I made potato and cheese pierogies cooked with onions and apples, served with chicken noodle soup. I also recently tried a new caramel fondue recipe used for dipping apples, and it was delicious.
Last night, I made vegetarian stuffed peppers. Those turned out great too. Especially since our landlady just gave us two bags of walnuts off her tree! I love being able to use up fresh, seasonal ingredients.
Tonight I made pumpkin pancakes served with massaman curry over rice. Okay, so the curry was left over from the Thai restaurant we went to for my birthday, but I made the pancakes myself. They turned out great. I would highly recommend trying this recipe. Let me know if you have any more great fall recipes I should try! I'm making my first Thanksgiving dinner this year...

4 comments:

Melissa Savage said...

Happy (late) Birthday Ashley!! Sounds like you're doing well! I'll have to try some of those recipes, yum!

Semi Granola Mom said...

This is an old friend of Chase's from ages ago, just found your blog :)
Here is a recipe called dinner-in-a-pumpkin"

1 Pumpkin
1 Onion, chopped
olive oil
1 1/2 to 2 lbs ground beef
2 T soy sauce
2 T brown sugar
1 Can mushrooms
1 8oz can water chestnuts
1 can cream chicken soup
1 1/2 C cooked rice
Clean out pumpkin. You'll want to cut the top off at an angle, so that when you replace it later, it won't just fall through the whole to the bottom of the pumpkin. Saute onions and brown meat. Drain. Add soy sauce, brown sugar, mushrooms (I used fresh mushrooms because I don't like them canned), and soup. Simmer 10 minutes. Add rice and water chestnuts. Spoon into pumpkin. Replace top. Place on a cookie sheet. Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees. Be sure that when you serve it, you scrape the sides so you get pumpkin in there!

LanceandNance said...

I need details!

Precious Images Photography said...

Cute blog.