Saturday, July 12, 2008

Stewart Falls, SLC Arts Festival, and LOST Marathons

So the events from this post are 2 weeks old, but my life is too crazy to be able to blog more often. So I'm writing this as if it were still the weekend of June 28. We caught up with the Raymond family to hike to Stewart Falls near Sundance. It was a beautiful hike but totally crowded. Of course, Chase plunged himself into the waterfall at the end but it was so hot he was probably dry by the time we got back to the car.

We had a picnic first






Beautiful scenery on the hike. Some parts of it looked almost tropical, they were all green and covered with ferns...then of course there were the mountains and the waterfall.


Chase and his dad considering getting under the waterfall after his dad taunted him, "Come on, aren't you going to get wet with me?"


Chase actually getting wet while his dad decided not to get in


Both of them running away from the FREEZING waterfall - notice how Mike is still dry :)

Moving on to later that evening...we got free tickets to the SLC Arts Festival from Chase's work. So we rode our bikes on over to the library to check it out. We saw some cool performers and lots of awesome paintings, photography, etc. in the artists' booths. It's nice to go to something like that and see that our downtown isn't always dead with no people walking around...I hope this is a sign of how our city will be in a few years when they finish all the downtown projects.




Cool Brazilian fire dancers

So, each night of the weekend after we'd tired ourselves out all day, we settled in to watch LOST on DVD, which Adam & Kim were nice enough to lend us. Now, I realize I'm about 4 years behind everyone else, but we're still on the first season, and I'm hooked. They really do a good job of making you want to know what happens next. I don't know how people watched it on TV, once a week, with commercials and stuff. I do, however, have a few comments to make/questions to raise about LOST:

Okay. I'm sorry, but the whole Jack/Kate connection isn't that convincing to me. I know there's supposed to be all this tension/desire, etc. between them, but it's just not quite working for me. I don't feel like it'd been developed enough to make me root for them just yet.

Also - I like Sawyer. I think you're kind of supposed to hate Sawyer, but I like him.

There are a few too many close calls, I think. I know, I know, it's a TV show and you're supposed to suspend your belief, and if all the characters died off there wouldn't be a show. But seriously...

Finally, how do all these people stay so clean shaven on this island? Did someone bring along a waxing kit that they're all using? I think after a month on an island with no razor I'd be embarrassed to strip down to my bikini.

But, after watching the show, it leaves me with a strange desire to be stranded on a tropical island...

Anyway, we had a great, relaxing weekend!

1 comment:

Kristi said...

You guys are BUSY! Well just enjoy every moment! Wish we could be there with you and have some of your energy spill over onto us!